For-profit colleges are big business; they exist in the first instance to make money and they have been a haven for fraud, waste and wrongdoing.
What is worse is that many of these colleges exist only because their students take out government backed loans to pay hefty tuition. Hence, these schools are riding on the back of taxpayer dollars! At a time when education dollars are scare, it is important to crack down on educational spending fraud, waste and abuse. Already, a number of these schools have paid hefty damages to the government under the False Claims Act.
If you are a student or employee of a for profit college, you should be concerned if you see any of the following conduct:
- A high number of students dropping out and very low graduation rates
- Graduates having a hard time finding jobs despite representations of employment upon graduation
- Fees or gifts given to those who refer or recruit students
- Financial instability at the institution
- Harassment, hostile environment or discrimination with regard to employees or students
For profit colleges are in the business to make money; if you see wrongdoing, it may be time to contact an attorney.
If you have information regarding fraud or wrongdoing involving for profit colleges – contact our whistleblower attorneys to claim a free, no-obligation case review today to learn your options.